Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Snake Plant: An Easy, Low-Maintenance Plant for Your Home

Snake Plant at a Glance

🌱 DifficultyBeginner-friendly
💧 WateringWater when soil feels dry
🏡 Where I grow mineBalcony
🌿 MaintenanceLow
👩‍🌾 Best forBeginner plant parents

Snake plant growing at home
Snake family in my balcony garden enjoying the Mumbai rains.
This lazy morning, as I am sitting on balcony floor enjoying rains can’t help appreciate these modest snakes. How gracefully they have grown their own little family over the last few years.

Snake plants are one of the easiest low-maintenance plants to grow at home. They can adapt well to indoor spaces and balconies and don't require frequent watering, making them a good choice for beginner plant parents.

There was no love at first sight.

I have to admit thought I have fallen in love with these beauties over a period of time.


If you search for 'easy plants to grow at home', the snake plant would probably be right at the top of the list.Yet, I always hesitated to give it a place in my garden.


We were destined to be together , indeed!😇

On one random visit to local nursery and gardener over there managed to convince me. Thanks to his marketing skills, I bought one home.


Snake plant when bought from nursary
The day Snake entered my home!

Plants do understand our emotions so true is that.Poor snake threw no tantrums on place change.

He settled nicely in one corner of my balcony garden and gradually in my heart.







Why Snake Plant Is Easy to Grow

In this world full of attention seekers what would call someone who demands no attention?
A Snake Plant !😉

What makes the snake plant special for me is how little attention it demands. It doesn't need constant watering or daily care. 

I have also tried keeping my snake plants in different pots, and they have adapted beautifully each time. They seem to quietly settle into their new home without creating too much fuss.

This forgiving nature is one of the reasons I think snake plants are perfect for someone who is just beginning their plant-parent journey.

How Often Should You Water a Snake Plant?

I don't follow a fixed watering schedule. During Mumbai's rainy season, I find myself checking the soil more carefully because it stays moist for longer in my open balcony.
In summer, I usually check the soil and water it only when it feels dry to the touch.And even if you forget to water, this plant will forgive you and adjust.

Watching My Snake Plant Babies Grow


One of the most satisfying things about growing snake plants is watching new shoots emerge from the soil. I call them my "snake babies."

It gives me a different kind of joy.I have witnessed so many such moments and every time it was same excitement and delight.
My favourite thing is seeing new shoots appear after some time. Every new baby snake feels like a tiny reward for the care and patience that goes into growing plants.



New shoots/babies
Baby shoot from soil

Baby snakes water prapogation



Repotting My Snake Plant

Balcony gardening is about experimenting.It is like your small botany lab.
I have tried planting baby shoots in pots of smaller sizes.
Size of leaves is proportional to the size of pots is what I observed. Also they grow new shoots faster is my own experience.


Snake plant growing in a repotted container
Repotted in small pot -Experiment


Snake plant growing in a repotted container


These kind souls are even happy with water too.Growth is slow when it is kept in water and leaves look more tender and sleek as compared to when they are potted in soil.
 
Fully grown leaves we can cut and keep it water jars and slowly they develop roots first and then small baby leaves.As baby leaves mature mother leaf gradually wilt.

Snake plant growing in water bowl
Snakes stealing fish bowl


Why I Recommend Snake Plant to Beginner Plant Parents

It is one of those low-maintenance plants I would recommend when you're just beginning your plant-parent journey.So, if you are planning to start your balcony garden journey, a snake plant could be a wonderful place to begin. This forgiving plant might just boost your confidence as a new plant parent.



No comments: