ZZ Plant: An Easy, Low-Maintenance Plant to Grow at Home
ðą ZZ Plant at a Glance
| Feature | My Experience |
|---|---|
| ðą Difficulty | Beginner-friendly |
| ð§ Watering | Water when the soil has dried out |
| ðĄ Where I grow mine | Balcony |
| ðŋ Maintenance | Low |
| ☀️ Light | Bright, indirect light; tolerates lower light |
| ðĐðū Best for | Beginner plant parents |
The ZZ Plant is one of those beautiful, low-maintenance plants that makes a home feel greener without demanding too much attention.
Why I Fell in Love With My ZZ Plant

When Should You Repot a ZZ Plant?
I realised that my ZZ Plant hadn't produced any new babies for quite some time. When I checked the pot, I understood why — there was hardly any room left for new shoots to develop.
I initially tried removing a few shoots from the soil, but everything was packed together and surprisingly difficult to separate.
I then tried taking a few branches and repotting them, but I soon realised that I had only dealt with the surface problem.
Next weekend I removed the plastic container from the ceramic pot, I could see roots coming out through the drainage holes. I had seriously underestimated how much my ZZ Plant had grown.
When I tried to loosen/remove soil from pot it was so hard that I had to tear the plastic pot.Roots have covered bottom part of pot.
With a little patience, I carefully separated the ZZ Plant's rhizomes without damaging the roots. Each healthy section was then ready for its new pot.
Signs Your ZZ Plant Needs Repotting
- Roots appearing through the drainage holes
- Soil becoming hard and compacted
- Water not draining properly
- The plant becoming crowded in its pot
- Very slow or stalled growth
- Rhizomes/shoots becoming tightly packed
These were the signs I noticed with my own plant, and they made me realise that it was time to give my ZZ Plant more space.
How I Propagated My ZZ Plant
My ZZ Plant started with a cutting from a friend's plant. Later, when the plant became crowded, I discovered that the underground rhizomes could be separated and repotted.For me, dividing the plant was much more satisfying than buying another ZZ Plant from a nursery. One established plant gave me the opportunity to create more plants for my home.
ZZ Plant Care Tips for Beginners
☀️ Light
ð§ Water
Allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Avoid keeping the soil constantly wet.
ðŠī Soil
Use a well-draining potting mix and a container with drainage holes.ðŋ Maintenance
My biggest lesson with this plant was simple: don't fuss over it too much.
Would You recommend ZZ Plant?
Absolutely.My ZZ Plant started with a cutting from a friend's plant and eventually became one of the residents of my balcony garden. What I initially considered an expensive, fancy-looking plant turned out to be remarkably easy to care for.
It grows slowly, doesn't demand constant attention and has beautiful glossy leaves that make it look far more high-maintenance than it actually is.
If you're a beginner plant parent looking for a low-maintenance plant, I think the ZZ Plant is definitely worth considering.
And in my case, getting a cutting from a friend made it even more special.
If you're looking for more easy plants to grow at home, you may also enjoy my experiences with the Snake Plant, Spider Plant, Aparajita and Money Plant .






Comments
Post a Comment